Ciavolich is a family-owned estate originally based in Loreto Aprutino, central Italy. In the past, the Ciavolichs were wool merchants that arrived in Miglianico in 1500 and in 1853. This is where everything began and where they built their first family’s cellar. Miglianico is located on top of a hill between Pescara and Ortona from where you can see the Adriatic Sea. However, today the main production is in Loreto Aprutino, in Contrada Salmacina. They have a total of 35 hectares of vineyards and, in addition, three hectares of olive groves. Half of the vineyards are planted with pergola Abruzzese from missal selection – the other half with guyot from a clonal selection. In the past, the family began to enhance the original genetic heritage of the vines planted in the 1960s. In addition, Ciavolich has a 15 hectare vineyard in Pianella where mostly Montepulciano (d’Abruzzo) is planted and also Pecorino and Pergola Abruzzese (since 2000).
The wines are straightforward and clean and with a deep spirit. They follow a sustainable approach with the thought of keeping the agricultural, vinicultural and historical heritage intact in order to continue passing it on to future generations. They use materials such as stainless steel, oak, concrete, and terracotta amphora in their wine production. While some wines are born and live in one material, others are born in one and are later blended together.